something else

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Their Voices Sing

MEAH had her first choral performance Monday night at the high school.  It amazes me how much that school has changed since my older children graduated, not to mention when I graduated all those years back. There's not much that has stayed the same except for the auditorium and the carved woodworkings of past students that adorn the entrance doorjambs.  Everyone still knows where their first loves heart dwells.

Before we arrived at the high school Meah made sure I knew where she stood on the risers and told me when she spotted me in the audience she would give me a specific signal she had found me.  I watched her take her position on the top riser and waited for her sign, her eyes scanning the crowd but she could not locate me.  My sister, who by the way is quite vocal to put it mildly, to my surprise had made an appearance. I had not mentioned Meah's performance to her so to see her walk in was unexpected.  After a berating from her for not informing her of the evening and before the chorus was settled in she walked up to the front of the auditorium so Meah could see her and even through the loud chatter of the spectators that filled the large theatre I could hear her call out Mikenna's name. That was ALL I heard.  I watched Meah's head turn and a huge smile swept over her face and then the customary head shake we all are use to gesturing whenever her aunt is around. She then scanned deeper into the crowd and our eyes met and her visual covert signal carried out. 

I finally, after four plus years received a good camera for Christmas, no more cell phone pictures. It has a wonderful video option on it so I decided to use that first.  I neglected to make sure it was fully charged and it died soon after the start of the video. Needless to say, I have only cell phone pictures of the performance.  I'll make sure it's charged for her first orchestra performance next month.