something else

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Beginnings

It's a new year, a new beginning.  A time to start over but to remember what we have left behind.  It's a time to reflect upon the moments from our past, both good and bad to learn from them. A time to achieve our dreams and strive to do better.  We remember the promises we've made and attempt to make good on those promises.  We agonize over the promises we broke and try to forgive ourselves.

An old worn out soul, whom I had the great pleasure to get to know often spoke to me about life and how fragile it can be.  We'd sit for what seemed like only minutes but contrary to how it felt it instead would be hours.  Time seemed to stand still when he spoke of his philosophy of life.  He lived long.  He lived.  The knowledge he held and shared was a gift and I'd get lost in his stories.  I'd often drive home afterwards deep in thought. 
He once told me to let go of the pain, whether it was because we sat there with a tube attached to our arms and it being uncomfortable or if he could see through me when he looked into my eyes, I'm not quite sure.  There was always some sort of deeper wisdom I'd walk away with after sharing a "cocktail" with him, some of it painfully simple and I'd kick myself for not thinking of it the way he seemed to eloquently convey it to me along with other insights, his sagacity I'd think long and hard about and wonder if he indeed had the ability to probe my thoughts. 
One of our last klatches together he mentioned to me he had seen a change in me, I wasn't the "young lady" he had first met.  He never revealed details of those changes only saying in his winsome way something to the effect of -- don't let the bad stuff overshadow the good, don't let it destroy you. 

It's a new year....And so, to new beginnings -- I raise my glass, my half-full glass and I wish you nothing but what you give....and more.