something else

Monday, November 26, 2012

The Spell of the Season

Monday, November 26, 2012 @ 11:09pm TX9J8DC93U6Q

 


The Spell of the Season

 
Mouse wanted to put up the Christmas tree this past weekend and I thought it was a splendid idea. Coming home last week after being indisposed for a short time, driving though the village I could not help but notice the festive holiday decor on the quaint timeworn businesses and charming homes that lined the enchanting streets of the hamlet. It made me kind of melancholy but joyful at the same time, all that was needed and would have added to the celebratory atmosphere and responsiveness I had felt, at that moment,was a dusting of snow on the ground, a prospect that would no doubt happen eventually.
 
Christmas has never really been one of my favorite holidays to celebrate, even as a child. I cannot pinpoint or say, for certain, the actual reasons why this festal holiday has caused disconsolateness for me. Whether it is due to circumstances growing up or some other reason I can only surmise, but I can positively say the loss of my father and then my nephew during this otherwise merry season surely magnifies the anguish, despair and desolation I carry with me to this day.

Thanksgiving was exceptionally exhausting for me so her father pulled out the artificial Christmas tree and I watched them put it up together. I was hoping on getting a real one this year, but this will have to do and as long as it makes her happy, then I am happy too. I will light some pine-scented candles to help achieve the aromatic feel a real tree brings to the season.

Mouse wanted the tree positioned on the inside wall of the room and not in front of the window where we usually place it and I could see them sorting and attaching the boughs from the confines of my bed, occasionally they would stop and ask me if it was acceptable. And while I watched the two of them construct the mock sapling, I could see out the window a light covering of snow collecting on the ground and it was magical. 
 
It is going to be a beautifully enchanted Christmas this year.